Selfish Queen

Kings and charlatans fall at my feet
As I walk the cold hall in silence
Princes persuade me with jewels and fine words
I smile at them and lead them to the executioner
My kohl-rimmed eyes lock into the simpleton’s
His plainness appeals to me
His carefree ways fascinate me
I hold out my hand to him commandingly
He simply smiles and walks alongside me willingly
His boldness allures me; I slip my arm through his quietly
And wonder where he’ll lead me
I’ve given up my power so quickly and easily
Only to have him run ahead eagerly
Leaving me holding onto nothing and unsure of where to go
Not certain I should follow him; nothing to go back to
I’d just begun unraveling the mess of my mind
When he put away the strings
So I sit on a cold bench in that empty hall
Wondering if he’ll return and take me with him
Wondering how long it’ll be before my needs and wants are met

0 comments: